This recipe was actually inspired by my friend Melissa, who makes a version of these as a snack. Matt has his chicken wings for the Ravens/Patriots game today, and I wanted something meaty and filling as well. After making these, I know for a FACT that I’ve found my game day finger food!
(Also, Go Pats. Not because I’m a fan — my Dolphins were out long ago — but because Ravens fans are annoying.)
* 1 can (about 19 oz.) chickpeas
* 1/2 tsp. salt*
* dash pepper
* two dashes roasted cumin
* 1 clove garlic, grated
* up to 1 tbsp. olive oil
* 1/2 tsp. sea salt*
* If you have one type of salt, go ahead and use that. If you’re going to use anything, though, use the sea salt.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Drain can of chickpeas and place in a bowl. Add salt, pepper, cumin, and garlic, then toss until chickpeas are well coated.
3. Spread chickpeas in a single layer on a non-stick, dark baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Remove chickpeas from the oven and add them back to the bowl. Add up to 1 tbsp. of olive oil (less if you prefer) and sea salt, then toss again until chickpeas are well coated. Spread back onto the baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes.
5. Test one chickpea and keep baking until dried to your liking, no more than 40 minutes’ total. We let ours go for 25 minutes before they were ready. Serve immediately.